Monday, March 17, 2014 8:30 PM LTFPD & GTFPD respond with Greenville Twp Fire Department on a report of a chimney fire at 8881 Ruffing Rd. The first units that arrived on the scene found a active fire in the flu of the chimney of the home.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire. It was reported that the flu of the chimney had large amounts of creosote deposits. The homeowner stated that the flu had never been cleaned which contributed to the fire.
Creosote, a dark brown or black flammable tar deposited from wood smoke on the walls of a chimney (merriam-webster.com), is a by product of burning sappy or soft woods like pine. You should burn hardwoods like oak, maple, birch, ash, black cherry, beech. In any case, if you burn wood, you should have your chimney inspected and cleaned by a reputable chimney cleaner. If you have a vented gas fire place you should have it inspected as well but it may not need it as often.
Fires in the flu of the chimney can lead to catching the rest of the home on fire. This can happen if there are cracks that develop or can develop because the intense heat of the fire.
You can view the rest of the photos from the response by clicking here: Chimney Fire 8881 Ruffing Rd 3-17-2014