On Friday night, 9/1/17, Lafayette Township Fire Protection District responded to a fire inside a structure located in the new section of businesses being built on Lafolette Dr. North. A trash can inside where El Nopal will be located caught fire. Quad 11 arrived on scene and extinguished the fire. The fire was contained to the trash can and smoke was ventilated from the business.
Firefighters did have to damage the main door to El Nopal because a special keybox for the fire department had not been installed yet.
Most businesses are happy to have these boxes available so that in the event of either a false alarm or actual fire firefighters can gain fast access with minimal damage. There are a few businesses still in our area that will not have one put in even though the benefits and cost savings have been explained.
Hopefully the few businesses that still are rejecting them will take notes and contact us about adding a very secure Knox box to their business Monday morning.