At 5:49 Friday morning a box alarm was dispatched for a structure fire at 100 Lafollette Station South. Which is the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Family Sports Restaurant. A box alarm is a automatic dispatch of all three upper county fire department to a reported structure fire. With special truck assignments from each department. Deputy Chief Todd Schindler, of the Lafayette Twp. Fire Protection District was first to arrive on the scene. He advised that the fire was in the sign on the South side of the building but was not actively on fire. LTFPD’s Quad 11 and Georgetown Township’s Ladder 2 arrived on the scene and began to check the sign and the building for further evidence of the fire extending into the building. The fire involved only the sign and a fabric awning just below the sign. A Yellow Ambulance crew staged in the area had seen the incident and reported the fire. Their actions are credited to keeping the fire from becoming larger and saving that and other businesses adjacent to Beef ‘O’ Brady’s. The initial cause of the fire was cause by a bird nest in the sign that was set fire due to the electricity arcing or reaching combustible temperatures.
Crews on scene had difficulty accessing the interior do to the building owners not wanting to install a Knox Box master key box. This saves time and money to the businesses by allowing fire departments easier access to the structure without having to damage doors or windows. Knox boxes are nearly indestructible and can only be accessed by the fire department with a special key. It would house “master key(s)” that would open any door on the property. LTFPD’s Administrators are still working with the building owner (they are not the operators of Beef ‘O’ Brady’s).