Firefighters from Lafayette Township and Greenville Township Fire Protection Districts assisted Georgetown Township Fire Protection District Sunday night, in bitterly cold conditions, on a structure fire.
At 10:21 PM Sunday night A box alarm was dispatched to 5050 Duffy Rd. in Georgetown Township. Fire departments arrived on scene with 6 minutes of the initial dispatch and found that the structure had fire showing from the front of the structure and began fighting the fire in the 20 degree cold. The fire had already consumed most of the attic of the two story structure. Additional water tankers were dispatched from Lanesville and Palmyra fire departments due to no hydrants in the vicinity.
The main body of fire was extinguished around 11PM. Firefighters remained on scene until almost 2 AM Monday morning making sure the fire was completely out. No one was injured and the occupants were able to escape safely. The fire started in the chimney and rapidly spread to the attic of the home.
Please remember to have your chimney inspected at least once a year and to have working smoke detectors in every level of your home.
If you need assistance with your smoke detectors please call us at 812-923-8003 M-F 8 AM – 5PM . Indiana Department Of Homeland Security has a program for persons needing smoke detectors. You can contact us by phone or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.